Multifactor Authentication for Dreamhost is an effective solution that increases the security of your account. It requires the following: your username and password; a one-time pass code, which you enter before you can gain access to your DreamHost account. This second layer of security helps protect your account from hackers and website hijackers.
Before you can enable Multifactor Authentication on your DreamHost account, you’ll need to install the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone or tablet device. Note that if you already have the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone or tablet device, you just need to click the “+” in the lower right corner (iOS) or open the settings for the app and click “Add account” (Android).
1. Navigate to the “Security” page (Panel > “Billing & Account” > “Security”). The second section on that page is titled “Multifactor Authentication.”
2. Enter your DreamHost account password in the “Current Password” box.
3. Click the dropdown menu to choose which of the two Google multifactor authentication methods you’d like to use:
Google Authenticator, time-based (recommended)
Google Authenticator, counter-based
Note: DreamHost recommends time-based one-time passcodes. Time-based codes provide better protection against phishing and keyloggers since each code is only valid for a short amount of time. Time-based codes also automatically stay in sync with DreamHost’s servers, as opposed to counter-based codes, which require manual syncing. If you use counter-based codes, you will need to press the “Refresh” button next to the code in the Google Authenticator App each time you use it to advance it to the next code.
4. Click the “Get Started” button. You will now see a QR Code and a 16-digit Secret Key that you will need to activate Multifactor Authentication.
5. Use the Google Authenticator App to scan the QR code.
If your device does not have a camera, you can instead enter manually the 16-digit Secret Key shown below the QR code into the app.
If you have more than one device running Google Authenticator, scan the QR code or enter the key on every device that you want to use with your DreamHost account.
6. When the Google Authenticator app displays a 6-digit passcode, enter it in the “Passcode” field. Note that if you are using counter-based codes, you may need to press the “Refresh” button to display the first code.
7. Click the “Activate!” button and and DreamHost’s server will be synced to your device. A “Success!” confirmation box will appear.
It is important that you save the backup codes presented in the “Success!” dialog box. If you suspect your account may be compromised (for example if you have lost your phone or mobile device), and you’re using Google Authenticator, you can use the “Regenerate Key” button to invalidate the old key and create a new one.
Once you’ve enabled Multifactor Authentication, you’ll notice changes to the panel Log In screen. You will now see two fields:
- Multifactor Authentication Code: Enter the 6-digit passcode generated by your mobile device.
- Remember this computer?: From this dropdown menu, choose how long you wish your computer to store this code. The three options are:
- Don’t remember
- Remember for 1 week
- Remember for 1 month
For more information visit: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Enabling_Multifactor_Authentication
All trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site makes every reasonable effort to keep the information accurate and up-to-date. If you have feedback regarding the instructions above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.