Two-factor authentication increases the security of your Linode Manager account by requiring two forms of authentication: something you have, and something you know. If you enable this optional feature in the Linode Manager, you’ll access your Linode Manager account using your smartphone as a physical token in addition to your username and password. This additional layer of security reduces the risk that an unauthorized individual will gain access to your Linode Manager account.
1. Install an authenticator application on your smartphone.
2. Log in to the Linode Manager.
3. Select the “My profile” link.
4. Enter your password, and then click “Authenticate.”
5. Select the “Password & Authentication” tab.
6. In the “Two-Factor Authentication” section, click “Enable Two-Factor Authentication.”
7. A window with a QR code and a box for the generated token appears. Write down the Secret Key and store it in a safe place.
8. On your smartphone, open the app and tap the plus (+) button.
9. Tap “Time Based.”
10. Tap “Scan Barcode.”
11. Point your smartphone’s camera at the barcode on your computer screen. The app creates a new token for your Linode Manager login automatically. It will be labeled “LinodeManager:user.”
12. Verify that your Linode Manager login has been added to Google Authenticator, and that it is generating a new token every 30 seconds.
13. In the Linode Manager, enter the token from your smartphone in the Generated Token field, and then click “Confirm my token, and enable two-factor auth.”
That’s it! You’ve successfully enabled two-factor authentication and set up token generation on your smartphone. Now that you have set up two-factor authentication for your account, you’ll need to have your token handy whenever you log in to your account.
For more information visit: https://www.linode.com/docs/security/linode-manager-security-controls/
All trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site makes every reasonable effort to keep the information accurate and up-to-date. If you have feedback regarding the instructions above, please email email@example.com.