Activated two-factor authentication provides access to application passwords and changes the restore access procedure. To stop using one-time passwords and return to using a normal account password, two-factor authentication must be disabled.
1. You can enable 2FA on the access management page. To set up Yandex.Key, you will need an iOS- or Android-based mobile device which supports the installation of applications (for example, Amazon Kindle Fire will not be suitable).
2. Confirm your phone number. If a phone number is already linked to your account, the browser will display this number and ask if you want to confirm it or change it. If your current phone number is not linked to an account, you will need to link it now—otherwise you will not be able to restore access to your account.
To link or confirm a number, request a code to be sent via SMS and then enter it into the field provided and click the Confirm.
3. Install Yandex.Key.
The Yandex.Key app is necessary for generating one-time passwords for you account. You can download the app from the App Store or Google Play, or request a link to be sent to your smartphone. When installing the app onto Android devices, Yandex.Key will request access to your camera in order to recognize QR-codes when you’re adding an account, or when signing in with a QR-code.
Click Show QR-code to proceed to the next step.
4. Set up Yandex.Key. In Yandex.Key, tap the Add account button. Yandex.Key will turn on your camera in order to scan the QR-code being displayed in the browser. If the QR-code cannot be read, click on the Show secret key link in the browser, or on the link in the application, or add it manually. Instead of the QR-code, the browser will display a sequence of characters that must be entered into the app.
Upon recognizing the account, the app will request a PIN code, which you will need to create in the next step of the 2FA setup process. To proceed to the next step, tap Create PIN code.
5. Create a PIN code. Think of a four-digit PIN code and enter it. Or, to get a randomly-generated PIN code, you can click Generate PIN code.
Click the Continue button to confirm your entered PIN code.
6. Check whether or not you’ve remembered your PIN code correctly. If you did not, then click I don’t remember my PIN and enter another.
7. Check your password. Enter in Yandex.Key the PIN code that you’ve setup. The app will create a new one-time password every 30 seconds. Enter the current one-time password and click Complete setup. If the password was entered correctly, your Yandex.Passport page will open.
Note: One-time passwords must be entered while they are still being displayed in the app. If there isn’t much time left until the next password, simply wait for the new one to appear.
For more information visit: http://help.yandex.com/passport/authorization/twofa.xml
All trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site makes every reasonable effort to keep the information accurate and up-to-date. If you have feedback regarding the instructions above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.